If you are someone that is interested in becoming a model the following modeling tips and tricks will help you.
Some might seem like common sense but in the highly competitive world of modeling it is easy to forget or overlook small things.
1. If you want a person look at your email, use a good name for your email address, don't use "cutey" or "sexy", and use black font, other fonts can be hard to read. Be professional, this is one of the most important modeling tips for a first impression.
2. Don’t be informal in your email, no LOL’s or other words you’d use with in a email to a friend or relative. Modeling might be fun for you but it is a business and should be treated as one.
3. Always try to be on time or early for a photo shoot. It’s important and will give you a good reputation. Yes accidents and emergencies do happen but you should do everything in your power to avoid keeping photographers and other support waiting.
4. Be prepared bring clothes changes; don’t go with the attitude that you have everything. Instead, always think of what you might be forgetting. You do not want to be unprepared or unable to shoot different “looks”.
5. Take your own makeup just in case there is not a make-up artist at the shoot or the make-up being used is a brand that you are allergic to.
6. Try to do a good job so you can get numerous references for future opportunities. Treat each job as though it will make or break your career. You never know what opportunities the job could lead to.
7. Be familiar with what is going to happen during the shoot, this makes you look more professional and together. Plus, being aware of your surroundings could help you avoid dangerous situations.
8. Bring enough cash along so you can pay for a cab if you need one or purchase any last minute items if you have forgotten something that is necessary.
9. Always make sure there is an agreement release to sign. Make sure you are legal protected and in control of the way your images are used.
10. Always maintain a professional air and don’t do something that may come back on you. Modeling tips that are easy to forget, do not gossip about people in the industry, be rude to staff or other models. Treat everyone exactly the way you want them to treat you.
11. If you've signed a travel expense agreement, make sure transportation is booked and everything is paid for especially hotels. Do not end up in a situation where you are being asked to pay for expenses that you cannot afford.
12. Always be aware of your surroundings when going to a photo shoot. If you are in a neighborhood that you feel is unsafe or end up in a location that you do not feel comfortable in do not be afraid to leave.
Many young men and women have ended up in terrible situations because they were afraid to leave a scam photo shoot.
13. Your body is yours don’t do anything that makes you feel uncomfortable. If you have agreed to do a non-nude photo shoot and are suddenly ordered to strip or do full nudes do NOT be afraid to refuse and leave.
14. Get plenty of rest you will do a better job if you are rested. No one wants to see a photo set featuring a tired model with bags under her eyes.
15. Just because you have a professional shoot it does not mean you are a professional. Many new models decide that they know everything after one professional shoot. Remember these modeling tips, even super models that are recognized throughout the world are still learning new things.
16. Don’t think one job is going to make you a super model. It takes a lot of work and self promotion to get ahead in the highly competitive modeling industry.
17. Update your portfolio often, this will show that you are versatile. You do not want people to think that you only have one look or style.
18. There are opportunities for any one size, shape or age. Do NOT let your race, size, or height discourage you from breaking into the modeling industry.
19. Don’t be fake; you need to act like yourself. If you are talented it doesn’t always matter if people do not like you personally. They need to like and respect you professionally.
20. Talk to the photographer as often as you can. Try to learn new modeling tips from them since many photographers can teach you a lot about lighting, posing, and modeling in general.
21. Be ambitious, chase your goals.
22. Also exude confidence; this will show in your photographs and also help your reputation.
23. Be organized; keep a planner so that you can keep track of all your shoots, contacts, etc.
24. Get your nails done before each shoot. A great manicure and pedicure can go a long way.
25. Don’t have a ton of tan lines. If you are going to be photographed in a lot of skimpy clothing where your tan lines show too many lines can look horrible.
26. If a friend comes along to the shoot, make sure they are out of the way. Make sure they understand that they can not distract the photographer or interfere with the photo shoot in anyay.
27. Eat properly before a shoot to avoid any problems. If a shoot runs longer than expected you may miss a meal or too. Eating well before hand will help you get through the shoot without eating.
28. Always bring 2 forms of ID with you. Depending on the work being done and various legal requirements proof of age or basic identification may be necessary for contracts and payment.
Author: Tanna Mayer
Updated: Nov. 06 2014