Mens Casual Clothing
Making Casual look Good
This article contains fashion advice for the constantly shifting world of men's casual and business casual clothing. Find out what's hot and new, what's old and cold, what you should wear, and what you should avoid.
Men's Casual Dressing
Whether you want to jump onto the trendy bandwagon, or are just looking for a few trendy elements to incorporate into your personal style, this section is the place to start.
Men's formal wear changes very little over time. Men's professional business suits have remained essentially the same for almost a century, with only minor adjustments through the decades. Fashion in men's casual clothing, however, changes quickly and constantly.
It can be difficult to keep up with all the current fashions, and men are notoriously more reluctant than women to part with hard-earned cash to buy new clothing just because a new style is trendy.
We're here to make it easy for you. We'll tell you plain, simply, and quickly what's in and what's out in both men's casual and business casual clothes.
What To Wear ~ Mens Casual Clothing
1. Shirts (both dress and T-shirts) in your own size, not two sizes larger. A shirt that fits your neck, chest, and shoulders, it will fit the rest of you as well.
2. Polo and golf shirts. They never go out of fashion.
3. Flat-front slacks. Pleated slacks are out.
4. Round-toed shoes. Boxy, square-toed shoes are out.
5. Suits. Suits go out of fashion slowly, and are slimming, sexy, and professional. If you don't believe us, ask any woman.
6. Sport Coats, preferably in conservative colors like black, gray, or navy blue. Sport Coats can dress up sweaters and T-shirts without being to fancy.
7. Plain color patterned or textured T-shirts. Picture and message T-shirts are out.
8. V-neck T-shirts. Ring-collared T-shirts are out.
9. Low-Rise, Boot Cut jeans. They are more flattering than Regular-Rise, Straight Cut jeans.
10. Hoodies. Sweatshirt with hoods are trendy right now.
What Not To Wear ~ Mens Casual Clothing
1. Gold chains with big gold pennants.
2. Hawaiian shirts (except during vacations in the tropics).
3. Spandex anything—unless you’re a fashion model or an Olympic athlete.
4. Denim shorts. Especially denim short shorts. Denim shorts only look good on women and skateboarders.
5. Short sleeved dress shirts with a tie. Either loose the tie or roll the sleeves up.
6. Humorous ties. No one looks stylish, sleek, and sexy wearing a tie shaped like a fish.
7. Pleated slacks. They're unflattering on all but the thinnest of men anyway.
8. Wearing your shirt collar over your jacket collar. That look went out in the 1970s and has never returned.
9. Sandals with socks. Ever.
10. Letting your wife/girlfriend dress you. Women have different fashion goals than men.Forr example, women aim for curves, whereas men seek angles and straight lines.