Looking Young At Fifty
Stay looking young with the tips summarized below are thirteen of the key points of beauty and body care.
Keeping Yourself Looking Young In 13 Easy Steps
We hope you'll refer to this summary from time to time in the future as a periodic reminder of what you must do to keep the glow of beautiful, youthful-looking skin for a lifetime.
Jot down any ideas or tips you come across that are especially relevant to your personal skin-care and beauty regimen but that haven't been included in our more general list.
1. Don't smoke. Nicotine is one of the most addictive and physically damaging drugs known to man, and ought to be shunned by anyone who cares about their health and appearance.
If you haven't started smoking, don't. If you have, quit now before years of addiction rob you of your capacity to drop this deadly habit.
For similar reasons, say no to recreational drugs and avoid abuse of both alcohol and prescription medications.
You will live a longer and happier life for having done so, and the results of your good judgment will be reflected in the mirror each and every morning looking young.
2. Avoid UV exposure whenever you can, and protect yourself from the sun with appropriate clothing and SPF 30 or higher sunblock when you can't. This is the single best thing you can do for the long-term health of your skin and to keep you looking young. Period.
3. Stay physically fit with a minimum of 20 to 30 minutes of aerobic exercise at least three times a week.
4. Eat a healthy, balanced diet that's high in carbohydrates, protein, nutrients, and fiber but low in saturated fats and empty calories. Drink plenty of water, too: At a minimum, you need at least eight 8-ounce servings daily to satisfy your body's needs.
5. Get your beauty rest.
6. Find a qualified dermatologist to treat your skin problems and help you maintain skin health.
7. Wash your face twice a day—three times tops—with a cleanser suitable to your skin type.
8. Always exercise a light, gentle touch when washing your face and hair.
9. Never try to handle problem acne on your own, and never, ever pop a zit. Even relatively mild cases of acne can cause permanent scarring if mishandled. A qualified dermatologist can help you avoid the worst mistakes and put you on the path to proper treatment.
10. Wash your hair regularly with a shampoo that suits your hair type, but avoid overwashing like the plague.
11. Keep your nails moisturized to keep them looking young, and give them an occasional respite from all nail care products.
12. Use hypoallergenic cosmetics that suit your skin type, and always wash them off completely before you go to bed. If you are prone to breakouts, look for oil-free formulations that are both non-acnegenic and non-comedogenic.
13. Continue to learn everything you can about your skin and how to care for it.
The fact that you've read this article is a terrific first step to looking young, and there are many other excellent sources of information on our Beauty By Fifty and Forty Something sections for you. New skin care breakthroughs are taking place with lightning speed.
To keep current, make regular visits to your local library, explore the Internet, and do read the skin-care and beauty articles here on site, all are chock-full of useful information and helpful tips to keep you looking young.
Looking Young At Fifty
Updated February 23, 2012