beauty and the bath

Hair Shedding

checking hair loss

Hair Growth and Hair Loss Shedding

If you are experiencing some hair shedding you may think you are lossing your hair. You can relax, shedding your hair is normal. Hair growth takes place in long cycles, each of which exhibits two distinct phases:

  • a growing (or aragen) phase
  • a resting, hair shedding, and fall out (or telogen) phase

The growing phase lasts by far the longest, occurring over two to live years in normal, healthy hair. Throughout this fresh keratin is pumped from the bulb at the base of the follicle to the hair shaft, which not only promotes continued growth of the strand, but also reinforces it. Growth rates, of course, vary from one person to the next, but for most folks scalp hair gains ½ to ¾ inch in length per month; body hair, around ¼ inch per month. The duration of the growing phase, incidentally, sets a physical limit on an individual's maximum hair length.

A longer growth phase, as you'd expect, offers the potential for longer hair, though most of us have our hair cut too frequently to ever reach this biological threshold. After the growing phase has ended, a brief resting phase of one to two weeks follows, then gives way, in turn, to a falling out phase of two to three months.

On completion of the full cycle, the old hair strand is shed and replaced by a new one from the same follicle. Significantly, each strand has its own unique cycle, which is a good thing, if you think about it. Just consider: If all—or even most—of our follicles operated according to the same clock, we'd have to endure periodic bouts of heavy shedding and temporary baldness. Not a pleasant thought!

Hair Loss Shedding - Statistics to open your eyes

At any one time, approximately 85 percent of the hair on your head is in the growing phase; the remainder, in the resting or falling out phases. While 85 percent may sound like— and in fact is—a lot, bear in mind that the remaining 15 percent represents a big number, too. The average person, you see, possesses somewhere between 60,000 and 130,000 scalp hairs. The exact number depends on the thickness of your hair and the concentration of follicles on your scalp: In general, people with fine hair tend to have more individual strands, people with coarse hair, relatively fewer.

But either way, 15 percent of even 60,000 thick, coarse hairs means that on any given day a minimum of 9,000 strands (or 60,000>< .15) are on the brink of clogging your shower drain. Of course, since the falling out phase is a two- to three- month process, you won't lose all 9,000-plus strands on the same day, or even over the course of several weeks. But you will shed at least some hair every day, and on some days noticeably more than on others.

So What Is A Normal Amount Of Hair Shedding?

60 to 150 strands a day, on average. The point here is that the hairs see in the tub and on your bathroom floor are there, more often than not, for good reason: Your skin has ditched them to make room for healthy new strands as part of the natural hair growth cycle

All content and images are copyright protectedHair Shedding
July 1, 2011

More Hair Replacement Options

hair restoration informtionTeen Hair Loss
Teen hair loss can be due to a nevous habit called Trichotillomania, this is where hair is pulled or twisted out by hand

human hair growth information

Human Hair Growth
Hair growth can be Vellus hair or Terminal hair, most of the human body has hair, even the top side of your tongue contains hair follicles

Test image.  Change this text when you insert image to describe image and include keyword

More On Beauty And The Bath

A Quick Look At What's New On Beauty And The Bath