Bathtub Refinishing Tips
At the outset of remodeling, bathroom tile design ideas are decisions that have to be made.
Overall Advantages of Bathtub Refinishing
If you're looking to update the overall appearance and ambiance of your bathroom then bathtub refinishing / reglazing may be a good option for your home.
It's a very cost effective way to deal with worn out, stained sinks, tubs and countertops. Generally the look of the refinished piece is close to new but at a much more affordable cost.
Replacing old bathtubs can cost thousands of dollars by the time you pull everything out, adjust piping, fix walls, install replacement floor tiles, and get a new tub back in place. And unless you want an old tub for a flower garden, it's hard to dispose of old tubs too.
Nonetheless, if you're putting your house on the market or just looking to keep it in prime condition, the bathroom is one area that can really impact a home's value. Refinishing is one answer to keeping that value and giving yourself a fresh, new bathroom look.
For homeowners who are already strapped financially on average bathtub refinishing costs about ¼ as much on average as full replacement. Additionally, bathtub refinishing:
- Saves Time: A full replacement bathtub can add up to weeks during which time you won't be able to use that area for much of anything. By comparison, you can use a refinished bathtub within days of the work. The average time it takes to complete refinishing? 4.5 hours!
- Less mess: Pulling out a tub quickly becomes a messy endeavor – dust, bits of paint, chips of flooring, etc. can easily get tracked through other areas of the house.
- Durability: The new products being used for bathtub refinishing should last you about 12-15 years. That's a great value for the price.
- Preserves History: If you have an old tub with some history behind it this is a great way to touch up small blemishes and continue enjoying that old-time charm.
- Color Choices: You’re probably doing a general face-lift in the bathroom and will want a finish that matches your paint, tiles, and window treatments. Bathtub refinishing products come in a lot of colors to suit any style and motif.
- Low Maintenance: The final finish on a re-worked tub is very easy to keep clean and maintain.
Bathtub Refinishing Tips Disadvantages
With the newer materials available for bathtub refinishing there are really very few disadvantages.
You may want to have a professional do the work so it comes with a warrantee, but beyond that for the budget-minded household refinishing is definitely an all-around WIN.
While you won't get a finish that exactly matches older porcelain (for that wholly antique look) you can come awfully close.
Bathtub Refinishing Costs
It runs about $600 to have a bathtub refinished. If you compare this to installing a bathtub liner – it's about 1/3 the cost.
Meanwhile a full bathtub replacement can run anywhere from $3,000 - $11,000 (or even more) depending on how complicated the plumbing issues become. Dollar for dollar, bathtub refinishing is a great value.
Bathtub Refinishing Tips
Updated March 16, 2012